Mason Jazz Festival
The Mason Jazz Festival is an invitational event open to middle school, high school, collegiate and community Jazz ensembles.
Sponsored by Mason Jazz Studies, the National Jazz Workshop and the Jazz Education Network, participating groups will perform a 20-30 minute set, followed by a clinic by Mason Jazz faculty. This festival will take place Saturday, March 23, 2019 on the George Mason University Fairfax campus. The participation fee is $200 per ensemble and spots are limited.
Closing festival performance will be the United States Navy Band Commodores at 7pm in Harris Theatre. All performances are FREE and open to the public – no tickets or registration required.
Festival Director: Dr. Matt Niess firstname.lastname@example.org
Festival Host: Dr. Darden Purcell email@example.com
This festival will include (3) “Outstanding Soloist” (cash prizes) and (4) “Best Section” awards as well as scholarships to the National Jazz Workshop summer camp at Mason.
Location: George Mason University, Fairfax Campus, Harris Theatre. 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Parking: FREE parking in LOT K. $8 weekend parking in the Mason Pond Parking Deck. Busses can drop off in front of the Center for the Arts and proceed to the back of Lot K to park.
- Regan Brough
- Jim Carroll
- Dr. Matt Niess
- Xavier Perez
- Dr. Shawn Purcell
- Kenny Rittenhouse
- Harold Summey
SCHEDULE – Performances listed below are in Harris Theatre unless otherwise noted
- 10:30am – Registration opens (De Laski Performing Arts Building lobby)
- 12:00pm – T.C. Williams HS (D. Rogers)
- 12:30pm – Bethesda Blues and Jazz Youth Orchestra (G. Mason)
- 1:00pm – Mason Jazz Ensemble (J. Carroll)
- 1:30pm – Powhatan MS (A. Snead)
- 2:00pm – Westfield HS (B. Schnepper)
- 2:30pm – Beginning Improvisation Clinic (de Laski 3001)
- 2:30pm – Osbourne Park HS (J. Kuchan)
- 3:00pm – Yorktown HS (B. Bersh)
- 3:30pm – Suitland HS (C. Waller)
- 4:00pm – Mountainview HS (Z. Smith, G. Welch)
- 4:30pm – Mason Latin American Ensemble (J. Megna)
- 5:00pm – Intermediate Improvisation Clinic (de Laski 3001)
- 6:00pm – Dinner Break
- 7:00pm – United States Navy Commodores (opening band – the Mason Jazz Ensemble)
Registration is now closed.