Mason Jazz Festival
The Mason Jazz Festival is an invitational event open to middle school, high school, collegiate and community Jazz ensembles. This festival will take place Saturday, February 29, 2020 on the George Mason University Fairfax campus.
Sponsored by Mason Jazz Studies, National Jazz Workshop and the Jazz Education Network, participating groups will perform a 20-30 minute set, followed by a clinic by Mason Jazz faculty and special guests. The participation fee is $200 per ensemble and spots are limited.
Closing festival performance will be the United States Air Force, Airmen of Note at 7pm in Harris Theatre. All performances are FREE and open to the public – no tickets or registration required.
Festival Host: Dr. Darden Purcell email@example.com
This festival will include (3) “Outstanding Soloist” (cash prizes) and (4) “Best Section” awards as well as scholarships to the National Jazz Workshop summer camp at Mason.
Location: George Mason University, Fairfax Campus, Harris Theatre. 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Parking: FREE parking in LOT K. $8 weekend parking in the Mason Pond Parking Deck. Busses can drop off in front of the Center for the Arts and proceed to the back of Lot K to park.
ADJUDICATORS & CLINICIANS
- Regan Brough
- Jim Carroll
- Aaron Eckert
- Kevin McDonald
- Xavier Perez
- Victor Provost
- Dr. Shawn Purcell
- Kenny Rittenhouse
- Harry Schnipper, Executive Director of Blues Alley
SCHEDULE – Performances are in Harris Theatre unless otherwise noted.
- 9:00am – 6:00pm – Registration open (De Laski Performing Arts Building lobby)
- 10:30am – Bethesda Blues and Jazz Youth Orchestra (K. Rittenhouse, G. Mason)
- 11:00am – The Business of Music: 201 – special guest, Harry Schnipper (Blues Alley Jazz Society Director)
- 12:00pm – Yorktown High School (B. Bersh)
- 12:30pm – Osbourn Park High School (J. Kuchan)
- 1:00pm – Rockville High School (N. Sherlock)
- 2:00pm – Improvisation w/ Victor Provost and members of Mason Steel Pan (De Laski 3001)
- 2:30pm – Cape Henlopen High School (C. Burkhart)
- 3:00pm – Suitland High School (C. Waller)
- 3:30pm – Mountainview High School (G. Welch, Z. Smith)
- 4:00pm – TC Williams High School (D. Rogers)
- 4:30pm – National Jazz Workshop All-Star Jazz Orchestra (T. Mire)
- 5:00pm – Mason Latin American Ensemble (J. Megna)
- 5:30pm – Awards Presentation
- 6:00pm – Dinner Break (Johnson Center)
- 7:00pm – United States Air Force Band, Airmen of Note, Mason Jazz Ensemble (opening band)
Registration for 2020 is now closed.