Ensemble Director: Dr. Darden Purcell
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning vocal group of George Mason University. This group has performed at Jazz4Justice™ concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, the Kansas City Jazz Summit, American Choral Directors Association Regional Conference, Jazz Education Network Conference, and ACCENT Vocal Festival at Tiffin University.
Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have been featured with:
- American Festival Pops Orchestra
- Mason Jazz Ensemble and Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra, directed by Jim Carroll,
- Capitol Bones All-Brass Big Band, directed by Matt Niess
- Ben Folds, as back-up vocalists
- National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap)
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and
- Virginia Beach Symphony.
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble shared the stage with The New York Voices, The Manhattan Transfer and Accent.
The Jazz Vocal Ensemble performs at the Center for the Arts in the Spring of 2017.
In 2018, the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble recorded their album, Voice of Reason.
The Mason Jazz Ensembles Recordings
The Voice of Reason CD featuring the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble can be purchased at amazon.com.
A second CD by a collection of Mason jazz ensembles called Life, LIberty and the Pursuit of Swing can also be purchased at amazon.com.