The Mason Jazz Studies Department combines performance, curriculum and service to support House Resolution 57 which states jazz is “hereby designated as a rare and valuable national American treasure.”
- Bachelor of Music
- Master of Music
- Master of Music, Pedagogy
- Doctor of Musical Arts (Email Darden Purcell at firstname.lastname@example.org for information)
The Mason Jazz Studies program (instrumental and vocal) offers opportunities for improvisation, performance, recording, writing, leadership and service. Our ensembles have performed at the Shanghai Concert Hall (Beijing, China), Center for the Arts, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Virginia Music Educators Association Conference, Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, Blues Alley, Kansas City Jazz Summit, JEN Conferences 2014, 2018 (Dallas, TX), JENerations Jazz Festival 2017 (New Orleans, LA), University of Trinidad and Tobago and more. Our students have won “Outstanding Ensemble” accolades, military band positions and DownBeat Student Music Awards.
A high point of students’ time at George Mason University is Jazz4Justice, an annual concert that combines the Jazz department with local law communities to raise money for academic initiatives and public access to justice.
Our students and jazz community have the benefit of attending master classes with world-class musicians throughout the year. Past artists include Eric Alexander, Peter Erskine, Doc Severinsen, Peter Bernstein, Byron Stripling, Bobby Floyd, Chip McNeill, Bria Skonberg, and more. Spring 2022, we are excited to host American composer, Jazz Orchestra leader and multiple Grammy award-winner, Maria Schneider.
- Wade Beach – Piano, Combos
- Graham Breedlove – Trumpet, Braddock Road Brass Band
- Regan Brough – Bass
- Jim Carroll – Mason Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Improvisation, Topics in Jazz
- Glenn Dewey – Bass
- Aaron Eckert – Trombone
- John Kocur – Jazz Studies, Jazz Workshop, Pop and Jazz Theory, Jazz & Blues in America, Advanced Jazz Improvisation, Saxophone
- Dr. Kevin McDonald – Percussion and Drum Set
- Xavier Perez – Saxophone
- Victor Provost – Steel Pan, Steel Pan Ensemble, Jazz Improvisation I & II
- Dr. Darden Purcell – Director of Jazz Studies, Jazz Voice, Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, Jazz & Blues in America, Jazz Pedagogy
- Dr. Shawn Purcell – Guitar, Jazz Arranging
- Rick Whitehead – Guitar
ENSEMBLES – Open to all university students, based on audition
- Mason Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Workshop
- Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble
- Steel Pan Ensemble
- Braddock Road Brass Band
- Latin American Ensemble
Ensemble Auditions – Spring 2022 (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece:
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition. If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell
FESTIVALS & EVENTS
MASON JAZZ MARKETPLACE
FALL 2021 EVENTS
- AUG 20, 11:30am: Patriots: Brave, Bold and Back Welcome Back Party – Wilkins Plaza (The Steel Pan Ensemble and Jazz faculty perform at the opening events for the Fall 2021 semester!)
- AUG 22, 5pm: Mason Jazz Welcome Back Party – De Laski 3001 (Mandatory for Jazz Majors, strongly encouraged for minors and those performing in ensembles – All are welcome!)
- AUG 29, 7pm: Mason Jazz Faculty “Back to School Party” at JAMMIN JAVA! $15 All Tickets | $10 for Students. Purchase tickets: jamminjava.com/shows/george-mason-university-jazz-faculty
- OCT 9, 9am – 5pm: Mason Jazz Student for a Day – Join our Jazz faculty, students and ensembles for an “inside look” into a typical day as a Jazz student at George Mason University! More details at music.gmu.edu/visit-us/mason-jazz-student-for-a-day/
- OCT 16, 7pm: Mason Jazz Guitar/Vocal Night at Epicure Cafe! The guitar and Jazz voice studio team up for an evening at our favorite Fairfax live music establishment, Epicure Cafe! $5 cover charge! epicurecafe.org
- OCT 30, 8pm: Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra “Swingin’ with the Met” – Join Director Jim Carroll and the Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra for an evening of Big Band era hits! Purchase tickets: hylton.calendar.gmu.edu/metropolitan-jazz-orchestra
- NOV 15, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night (director, Dr Darden Purcell) – Center for the Arts
- NOV 18, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Latin American Ensemble (director, Wade Beach, Juan Megna) – Center for the Arts (free and open to the public)
- NOV 20, 8pm: Jazz4Justice 20th Anniversary Concert (director, Jim Carroll) – Center for the Arts. Purchase tickets: cfa.calendar.gmu.edu/jazz-4-justice
- NOV 30, 8pm: Jazz Workshop (director, John Kocur) – Center for the Arts (free and open to the public)
- DEC 1, 8pm: Steel Pan Ensemble/Braddock Road Brass Band (directors, Victor Provost, Graham Breedlove) – Center for the Arts (free and open to the public)
- DEC 10, 8pm: American Festival Pops Orchestra: Holiday Pops (director, Tony Maiello) – Hylton Performing Arts Center. Purchase Tickets: hylton.calendar.gmu.edu/american-festival-pops-orchestra-holiday-pops/
- DEC 11, 8pm: American Festival Pops Orchestra: Holiday Pops (director, Tony Maiello) – Center for the Arts. Purchase Tickets: cfa.calendar.gmu.edu/american-festival-pops-orchestra/
JAZZ RECITALS – Fall 2021
- Wednesday, SEP 22, 8pm: Jessica Boykin-Settles, DMA Performance Recital, (Center For the Arts)
- Saturday, DEC 4, 4pm: James Weiss, Jazz guitar Senior Recital (De Laski 3001)
Celebrating our Jazz4Justice Alumni
- We would like to offer any Mason Jazz (or Mason Music Alumni who participated in Jazz4Justice concerts) FREE VIP tickets to this year’s concert.
- Please email email@example.com for the number of tickets requested.
- Tickets can be picked up at will call 2 hours before the show.
Mason Jazz Alumni Happy Hour
- We want to celebrate our Jazz4Justice alumni!
- Reconnect with your colleagues at a special Mason Jazz Alumni-only Happy Hour before the Jazz4Justice concert on Saturday, November 20th from 5:30-7:30pm. Then, head across the street to enjoy the main event at the Center for the Arts.
- All former Mason Jazz students and music majors who participated in jazz are welcome to attend. To reserve your FREE spot, email John Kocur at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fairfax, Virginia 22032
DownBeat Student Music Awards
The Latin American Ensemble is honored to have been awarded “Latin Group, Graduate College – Outstanding Performance” for 3 years in a row (2019, 2020, 2021) in the DownBeat Student Music Awards! Congratulations to our students and director, Juan Megna!
Mason Jazz 2021 International Jazz Day Celebration is featured in Northern Virginia Magazine “These Are the Best Things to Do in NOVA this April!” northernvirginiamag.com/things-to-do
MASON JAZZ MONDAYS
E-mail email@example.com for hard copies.
PRESS AND ACCOLADES
George Mason University: Music Library’s move to Fenwick met with Music and Fanfare!
George Mason University: Mason Joins Worldwide Jazz Day Celebration with an All-Jazz Concert!
All About Jazz: Washington D.C. Reclaims it’s role as a Jazz Destination
The Trinidad Guardian Newspaper: A Master of Pan Jazz Ramajay
Northern Virginia Magazine: GMU’s 12th Annual Jazz 4 Justice concert spotlights “Nothin’ But the Blues
George Mason University: Musicians and Lawyers Come Together in Jazz 4 Justice
DC Metro Theater Arts: Mardi Gras with the MJO at George Mason University
DC Metro Theatre Arts: Jazz 4 Justice – 5 Star Review
Mason Spirit: Jazz Ensemble Travels to China in Musical Exchange
JazzTimes: George Mason University – Jazz Schools