Monson Scholars Program
The School of Music is deeply grateful to Sid and Reva Dewberry for this transformational gift.
The purpose of the Dr. Linda Apple Monson Scholars program is to identify and attract new students of extraordinary performance ability and deep intellectual curiosity who will embody the term Artist-Scholar. We are seeking to recruit a new generation of promising performing artists and leaders to the School of Music at Mason. Selected Monson Scholars will receive generous financial support for their study and performance participation at Mason (4 years for incoming freshmen and 2 years for incoming master of music candidates), thus enabling them to further develop their talents and skills under the guidance and mentorship of our outstanding faculty. These highly competitive Monson Scholar awards will be offered to a limited number of outstanding candidates. The Monson Scholars program is open to exceptional performers in the classical and Jazz areas at the BM and MM levels – orchestral and band instrumentalists, pianists, and vocalists. Read about other scholarship opportunities here.
Students are selected for the Monson Scholars program based on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit of the highest caliber, with an exceptional performance profile
- A highly successful academic history, as well as a desire for further intellectual exploration
- Personal capacity for leadership and commitment to the Mason IDEA – our core institutional values
Students who wish to be considered should plan to submit the following supplemental scholarship application:
- A completed George Mason University Application
- Completed FAFSA on file with George Mason University.
- This is for Undergraduate applicants only. Graduate applicants do not need to complete a FAFSA.
- Completed supplemental Monson Scholar application
- Video of solo musical performance. This video should be a representative sample of current performance skills. While there are no specific repertoire requirements for each instrument or voice, we would like to see students performing at a high level as soloists (or with piano accompaniment as appropriate). A combination of solo works and orchestral excerpts are acceptable for orchestral and band instruments. This video is not a pre-screening, but serves as part of the supplemental application for the Monson Scholars award. This video also does not replace your School of Music entrance audition. We ask that Master of Music students submit the same video used as their graduate pre-screening. You are not required to create a separate video for the Monson Scholars application. Doctoral students are not eligible for the Monson Scholar awards at this time.
The deadline for priority consideration is January 15. We strongly encourage all interested candidates for the Monson Scholar program to submit the supplemental application by the priority deadline of January 15. However, you may complete your School of Music entrance audition after this date. The day of your audition will not affect your consideration for this award.
For any additional questions about the program, please contact:
Mason Music Office