Monson Scholars Program
The purpose of the Dr. Linda Apple Monson Scholars program is to identify and attract new students of extraordinary performance ability and deep intellectual curiosity who will embody the term Artist-Scholar. We are seeking to recruit a new generation of promising performing artists and leaders to the School of Music at Mason. Selected Monson Scholars will receive generous financial support for their study and performance participation at Mason (4 years for incoming freshmen and 2 years for incoming master of music candidates), thus enabling them to further develop their talents and skills under the guidance and mentorship of our outstanding faculty. These highly competitive Monson Scholar awards will be offered to a limited number of outstanding candidates. The Monson Scholars program is open to exceptional performers in the classical and Jazz areas at the BM and MM levels – orchestral and band instrumentalists, pianists, and vocalists. Read about other scholarship opportunities here.
Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will open in the fall. Please check back soon.
Students are selected for the Monson Scholars program based on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit of the highest caliber, with an exceptional performance profile
- A highly successful academic history, as well as a desire for further intellectual exploration
- Personal capacity for leadership and commitment to the Mason IDEA – our core institutional values
Students who wish to be considered should plan to submit the following supplemental scholarship application:
- A completed George Mason University Application
- Completed FAFSA on file with George Mason University
- Completed supplemental Monson Scholar application
- Video of recent musical performance for prospective freshmen: This video should be a representative sample of current performance skills. While there are not specific repertoire requirements for each instrument or voice, we would like to see students performing at a high level as soloists (or with piano accompaniment as appropriate). A combination of solo works and orchestral excerpts are acceptable for orchestral and band instruments. This video is not a pre-screening, but serves as part of the supplemental application for the Monson Scholars award. You may schedule a live, in person audition at Mason during the audition days. Please note that prospective Master of Music students do not have to submit a supplemental video, as the graduate pre-screening video (due December 1) will serve as your video for consideration of the Monson Scholar award. Doctoral students are not eligible for the Monson Scholar awards at this time
The deadline for priority consideration is January 15. We strongly encourage all interested candidates for the Monson Scholar program to submit the supplemental application by the priority deadline of January 15. However, you may complete your School of Music entrance audition after this date. The day of your audition will not affect your consideration for this award.
For any additional questions about the program, please contact Prof. John Kilkenny, firstname.lastname@example.org