Seating Placement Auditions
School of Music ensembles are open to any George Mason University student based on passing the seating placement auditions. For questions or concerns regarding auditions, please see area point of contacts below.
- Bands – Prof. John Kilkenny (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jazz – Dr. Darden Purcell (email@example.com)
- Strings – Dr. Soo Han (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you are interested in participating in one of the ensembles, please print the excerpts below, and sign up for an audition time. Non-majors from the university community who wish to audition for the Symphonic Band may prepare the excerpts listed below OR a solo/etude of their choice. Voice part-checks will be held during Choral Ensemble meeting times. Students will be expected to arrive outside of the room assigned for their specific instrument at least 10 minutes prior to your audition. You must have your instrument and music out, tuned and ready to perform at this time. A note to winds/brass music majors: Your applied professor may give you different excerpts to prepare for this audition. If that is the case, please bring the excerpts your professor provides. If not, please prepare the excerpts listed below.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
- Tuesday, August 24, 9:00am-11:40am, 2:00pm-6:00pm, MTB 2027
- Monday, August 23, 9:00am-12:00pm, 1:30pm-6:00pm, MTB 2027
- Monday, August 23, 4:00pm-7:00pm, MTB 2030
- Tuesday, August 24, 4:00pm-7:00pm, MTB 2030
- Percussion – Please contact Prof. John Kilkenny at email@example.com
- Jazz – Instrumental & Vocal – Questions can be directed to Dr. Darden Purcell at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, August 23, 9:00am-12:00pm, 1:00pm-6:00pm, PAB 336
- Tuesday, August 24, 9:00am-12:00pm, 1:00pm-6:00pm, PAB 336
- Monday, August 23, 1:30pm-2:40pm, PAB 323
- Monday, August 23, 7:00pm-9:00pm, MTB 2030
- Tuesday, August 24, 12:00pm-1:00pm, PAB 3001
- Tuesday, August 24, 7:00pm-9:00pm, MTB 2030
- Find information for all string parts here.
- Part-checks will be held during the first week of classes, during ensemble times.
Jazz Ensembles – FALL 2021 (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece: Doxy
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the JAZZ page to sign up for an audition. If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell