Seating Placement Auditions
School of Music ensembles are open to any George Mason University student based on passing the seating placement auditions. For questions or concerns regarding auditions, please see area point of contacts below.
- Bands – Dr. William Lake (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jazz – Dr. Darden Purcell (email@example.com)
- Strings – Dr. Soo Han (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you are interested in participating in one of the ensembles, please print the excerpts below, and sign up for an audition time. Non-majors from the university community who wish to audition for the Symphonic Band may prepare the excerpts listed below OR a solo/etude of their choice. Brass and Woodwind auditions are blind (students audition behind a screen). Voice part-checks will be held during Choral Ensemble meeting times. Students will be expected to arrive outside of the room assigned for their specific instrument at least 10 minutes prior to your audition. You must have your instrument and music out, tuned and ready to perform at this time. A note to winds/brass music majors: Your applied professor may give you different excerpts to prepare for this audition. If that is the case, please bring the excerpts your professor provides. If not, please prepare the excerpts listed below.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
- String Seating Audition Sign-Up Link
- ALL string students MUST audition prior to enrolling in orchestra. Please see audition information below under the “Strings” Section of “Audition Excerpts”.
- Percussion – Please contact Prof. Jon Bisesi at email@example.com
- Fill out and bring your Audition Registration Form (new requirement this year)
- Jazz – Instrumental & Vocal – Questions can be directed to Dr. Darden Purcell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule TBA
- Part-checks will be held during the first week of classes, during ensemble times.
- Instrumental Piece: St Thomas
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the JAZZ page to sign up for an audition. If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell
- Symphony Orchestra: The major symphonic orchestra consisting mainly of music majors. Must pass an audition to be placed into this ensemble. Students who do not pass the audition will be placed in Concert Orchestra.
- Concert Orchestra: All-campus, string orchestra, open to any students at GMU of all ability levels. Audition is required for placement into this ensemble.
Winds and Brass
- Flute & Piccolo
- Oboe & English Horn
- Tenor Trombone (Updated 8/2/22) & Bass Trombone