Seating Placement Auditions
School of Music ensembles are open to any George Mason University student based on passing the seating placement auditions. For questions or concerns regarding auditions, please contact Melinda Wildman.
Seating auditions for the Fall semester will take place Monday and Tuesday, August 28th and 29th. If you are interested in participating in one of the ensembles, please print the excerpts below, and sign up for an audition time. Non-majors from the university community who wish to audition for the Symphonic Band may prepare the excerpts listed below OR a solo/etude of their choice. Voice part-checks will be held during Choral Ensemble meeting times. Students will be expected to arrive outside of the room assigned for their specific instrument at least 10 minutes prior to your audition. You must have your instrument and music out, tuned and ready to perform at this time.
SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION (Click below)
- Winds, Brass
- Percussion: August 27th in Begun studio (Performing Arts Building 3008): Percussion area meeting 2PM and ensemble placement auditions 4PM
- Strings (this includes placement for string chamber ensembles as well as symphony orchestra)
- Jazz (Instrumental & Vocal)
- Part-checks will be held during the first week of classes, during ensemble times.
Jazz (Instrumental & Vocal)
- Instrumental Audition Piece: Just Friends
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition, there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod or CD player.
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a brief excerpt of a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod or CD player.
- If all audition slots are filled, or you have a legitimate time conflict, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.