Organist & Accompanist – Emmanuel Lutheran Church
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
Organist & Accompanist Position Description 2022
Position Status: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Weekly Hours: Approximately 20 hours per week including but not limited to time in worship, rehearsals and practice, meetings, and planning.
Annual Salary: Commensurate with education, experience, and this position description.
Reporting Relationship: The Organist & Accompanist reports to the Lead Pastor.
Job Summary The Organist & Accompanist provides Emmanuel’s music and worship programs with creative, effective, and inspirational leadership that glorifies God, working closely with the Pastors, music staff, and the Worship Team in planning and playing for Emmanuel’s worship services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Organist & Accompanist shall:
- Collaborate with the pastors and music staff in planning worship services and select music appropriate to the liturgical season or worship theme for the Sunday morning worship services and other services.
- Coordinate and communicate with music staff and volunteers regarding scheduling ensembles, soloists, instrumentalists and others as appropriate.
- Participate in meetings of Emmanuel’s program staff, the Worship and Music Team, and other teams as appropriate.
- Oversee maintenance of the materials, supplies, instruments, and other equipment.
- Assist in preparing annual spending plan and other reports of the Worship and Music Team with respect to organ and piano needs.
- Provide music titles and other information to the pastors for publication in bulletins with appropriate copyright licensing and report those pieces when used to the appropriate licensing agency (CCLI, Onelicense, etc.).
- Provide organ and/or piano leadership for the Sunday morning worship service and other services by accompanying the liturgy of the congregation, choirs, special vocalists and instrumentalists.
- Provide organ/piano leadership for additional services during Advent, Lent, and Holy Week, on Christmas Eve and Easter, and for other special services.
- Secure a qualified substitute organist and accompanist when needed.
- Secure other guest musicians for special music periodically.
- Accompany the church choirs for rehearsals and worship.
- Be available for organ and piano accompaniment at weddings and funerals, allowing for the selection of appropriate music at these worship services.
- Maintain and improve professional competency through attendance at continuing education events, self-improvement in music and the arts, and being informed regarding church music methods, materials, equipment, and administrative functions.
- Adhere to the policies and procedures of Emmanuel, including the child protection policy.
- Other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor.
- Commitment to Christ with a record of active participation in the worship life within the church.
- Knowledge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America so as to select appropriate music supporting the worship norms and theology of the denomination with the support and guidance of the pastor(s).
- Sufficient academic background, training and experience necessary to perform Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the position, including knowledge and experience in planning music appropriate to the liturgical church year, demonstrated proficiency on the organ and piano in a variety of styles, experience in directing adult choirs, and experience in accompanying adult and children and youth choirs.
- Effective interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and the ability and commitment to work harmoniously, effectively and confidentially with the Pastors, church staff, and adults and children of the congregation.
- Ability to plan, schedule, prioritize and take initiative on a variety of tasks.
- Successful completion of a criminal Background Check.
Specific to this Position
- Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas; re-examines existing ideas and approaches to create fresh and innovative approaches; learns from mistakes; exercises good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will be successful.
- Interpersonal Skills: Establishes and maintains good working relationships; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; avoids communication triangles.
- Listening: Engages in thoughtful and attentive listening; listens beneath the surface for real intent that may contradict the spoken message; overcomes personal bias to genuinely hear the ideas and concerns of others; can describe the perspective of another, even when disagrees.
- Influencing Others: Encourages others to cooperate, participate, provide resources or make decisions, in service to the work at hand; uses verbal and nonverbal skills to communicate respect for others, and to generate energy, passion, and commitment to an idea; creates an environment that others want to work in.
- Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands the skills that are lacking and seeks to develop them; continually works toward mastery of technical proficiency.
- Initiative: Is a self-starter, action-oriented, and energetic about worthwhile activities; not fearful of taking appropriate risks; seizes opportunities; sets demanding but achievable objectives for self and others.
- Time Management: Uses time effectively and efficiently; works independently without supervision; values time and respects the time of others; concentrates efforts on the most important priorities; can appropriately balance priorities; demonstrates strong organizational skills.
Applicable to All Emmanuel Employees
- Honors Church Mission: Honors Emmanuel’s mission to proclaim the Gospel and create disciples as a congregation of the Metropolitan Washington D.C. Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Ethics and Values: Honors the core values and beliefs of Emmanuel in his/her choice of behaviors; consistently embodies appropriate behavioral choices in both stressful and nonstressful situations; practices the behaviors he/she advocates to others.
- Integrity and Trust: Keeps confidences and is trustworthy; practices direct, honest and transparent communications; admits mistakes; responds to situations with constancy and reliability; consistently embodies appropriate behavioral choices in stressful and nonstressful situations.
- Understands Church Policies: Understands and complies with Emmanuel’s policies and practices and communicates them to others.
For more information and/or to submit a cover letter, resume, and references, please contact email@example.com. Thank you!
Emmanuel Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Synod. We are located at 2589 Chain Bridge Road in Vienna, Virginia 22181. Find out more about us at www.elcvienna.org.
This job description was approved by the ELC Council on January 25th, 2022.