Job Posting: Church Organist & Asst. Director of Music Ministry
Colesville United Methodist Church (CUMC) located at 52 Randolph Rd., in Silver Spring, Maryland, is seeking an experienced person as Church Organist who will also serve as the Assistant Director of Music Ministry. The instrument is a specially engineered Shantz Pipe Organ designed in 1959. The organ is maintained through regular and exceptional upkeep. Colesville United Methodist Church, which is located in a suburb of Washington, DC, has the oldest functioning congregation in Montgomery County, Maryland. The Church is exploring ways to expand the music worship experience, and to expand the congregation. The Organist/Asst. Director of Music Ministry works under the leadership of the Director of Music Ministry who reports directly to the Pastor. The position is available effective August 7, 2017; however, if the selected candidate is available sooner, an overlap with the outgoing Organist is available.
II. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Overall Responsibilities
Participates in CUMC Music Ministry Program including;
– Coordinates with the Director of Music Ministries and the Pastor in the selection of hymns and any special music deemed appropriate for each service of worship.
– Prepares for and participates in weekly choir rehearsals and worship services on the organ or piano.
– Attends regular music team meetings.
– Assists in planning and organizing special music events (i.e. concerts, choir tours, mission trips, retreats, festivals, workshops, clinics).
– Plays for funerals or weddings, as available.
– Assists the Director of Music Ministries in the selection of music for the music library.
– Identifies and trains substitute organist in consultation with the Director of Music Ministries.
– Maintains upkeep of the organ and piano by working with designated organ and piano tuners.
– Works with the Director of Music Ministries and Pastor to develop and administer the organ program budget
Ill. SUPERVISORY SUPPORTS
Reports to the Director of Music Ministries and the Senior Pastor and updates the SPPRC. There will be yearly evaluations by the Pastor with input by the SPPRC.
IV. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The Organist must have the physical dexterity to manage various locations within the church and be able to access the choir loft in order to direct Choirs.
A. Education and Skills – Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) with a concentration in Music Education, Organ, Organ Performance, or Piano. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. – An ability to play the piano is required.
B. Experience – This person must have prior experience with church music, including hymns, sacred, etc.
C. The person occupying this position should have an understanding or a willingness to learn the policies of the United Methodist Church and must comply with its Safe Sanctuary requirement.
An ideal candidate will have:
– Ability to play a pipe organ
– Piano/keyboard skills necessary to accompany the Colesville UMC choir
(or the soloists and small ensembles derived from the choir) for rehearsals and services.
– Ability to coach and work with singers as necessary
– Fluency in various genres of sacred music
– Piano skills in gospel music (highly desired)
– Innovative ideas and ability to recruit and welcome new choir members
– Strong interpersonal and leadership skills in working with various music leaders and different music ministries
Salary is commensurate with experience.
CUMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Colesville UMC does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices. Reasonable accommodations will be made for
Individuals with disabilities unless they impose an undue hardship on the operations of the church.
Direct Questions to: Rev. Dr. Michael Armstrong, Church Office: (301) 384-1941
Direct cover letter and resume to:
Chair, SPPRC Colesville United Methodist Church
52 Randolph Road. Silver Spring, Maryland 20904