Job Posting: Church Music Director
Northwood Presbyterian Church, 1200 University Blvd. W., Silver Spring, MD 20902
A culturally diverse church in Silver Spring, MD is searching for an experienced candidate to fill a 15-hour-per-week position available in October. The director will offer various styles of organ and/or piano music during worship services; direct and select diverse music for 4-part adult choir; organize and develop youth choir. Effective planning and organizational skills required.
Salary commensurate with experience. For the right candidate, we will offer a scholarship to develop organ skills.
For additional information about our church, please visit our website: www.northwoodchurch.com.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
TITLE: Music Director
PURPOSE: The Music Director is a three-eighths-time position (15 hours per week). Will provide appropriate organ and/or piano and choral music during services of worship, special church events, and at the direction of the Pastor and in cooperation with the Faith Ministry, to coordinate the total music program.
QUALIFICATIONS: Should have advanced level of skill and training on keyboard instruments (piano and organ) as well as experience in choral directing.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Accountable to the Pastor as Head of Staff or the Clerk of Session in the absence of a pastor. The Music Director will regularly participate in meetings with the Pastor to discuss and plan for the music life of the church. When requested the meetings may be held with members of Personnel Committee and/or Worship Committee in attendance.
RESPONSIBILITIES: At the direction of the Pastor and in cooperation with the Faith Ministry and/or Personnel Committee:
· Insure church instruments are properly maintained (to include moisture for the piano)
· Prepare and present keyboard music to enhance the service of worship each Sunday.
· Direct chancel choir and build participation to enhance the service of worship.
· Select music in accordance with liturgical calendar.
· Provide opportunities for congregational musical participation, when learning new hymns, rhythms, and responses.
· Plan and execute a strategy for growing music ministry for youth choir, with a minimum of quarterly performances.
· Accompany and direct the chancel choir at Thursday evening and Sunday morning rehearsals. Recommend, prepare and direct music for the following special services: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Easter Sunday Services and Christmas Eve. Additional services will be paid at the rate of $150 for each service.
· Catalog and maintain the church’s music library.
· Hire and supervise Section Leaders.
· Order all necessary music and other program supplies.