Mason Jazz Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, offers opportunities for improvisation, performance, recording, writing, leadership and service. This ensemble (MW 3- 4:15pm) performs at venues including the Shanghai Concert Hall (Beijing, China), Center for the Arts, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Blues Alley, Chantilly Jazz Festival, Law Day and the Jazz Education Network/JENerations Jazz Festival (New Orleans, LA). A highpoint of students’ time in the Mason Jazz Ensemble is Jazz 4 Justice, an annual concert that combines the Mason Jazz department with local law communities to raise money for the jazz program and public access to justice.
CONCERTS – Spring 2019
- Saturday, JAN 26, 8pm: Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra with Eddie Daniels (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Saturday, MAR 23, all day: Mason Jazz Festival with the US Navy Band Commodores (Harris Theatre, Free and open to the public)
- The MJE will be the opening back for the Navy Commodores!
- Monday, APR 1, 8pm: Big Band Showdown (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Tuesday, APR 30, 8pm: International Jazz Day with the Mason Jazz Ensemble (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Wednesday, MAY 1, 4:30pm: Law Day with the Mason Jazz Ensemble (Weiner, Spivey and Miller Law Offices)
JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS – Fall 2019 (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece:
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell