Mason Jazz Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, offers opportunities for improvisation, performance, recording, writing, leadership and service. This ensemble (MW 3- 4:15pm) performs at venues including the Shanghai Concert Hall (Beijing, China), Center for the Arts, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Blues Alley, Chantilly Jazz Festival, Law Day and the Jazz Education Network/JENerations Jazz Festival (New Orleans, LA). A highpoint of students’ time in the Mason Jazz Ensemble is Jazz 4 Justice, an annual concert that combines the Mason Jazz department with local law communities to raise money for the jazz program and public access to justice.
CONCERTS – Fall 2018
- Sunday, August 26, 4pm: Mason Jazz Welcome Back Party (de laski 3001) – Mandatory for Majors (undergraduate and graduate). Strongly encouraged for Jazz minors and those participating in Jazz ensembles. Performance by your Jazz faculty and hang. (Dinner provided)
- Monday, September 24, 7:30pm: Mason Jazz Ensemble at Jammin’ Java! (227 Maple Avenue East, Vienna, VA 22180, 703-255-1566, https://eventbritesites.com/tf/jamminjava/) – Purchase Tickets
- Friday, November 16, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Hylton Performing Arts Center) – Purchase Tickets
- Saturday, November 17, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Center for the Arts) – Purchase Tickets
Fall 2018 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece: Mr. P.C.
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.