The Jazz Workshop big band, directed by Rick Parrell, meets Tues/Thurs from 3:30pm – 4:45pm in the de Laski Performing Arts Building, room 327C. Placement in the Jazz Workshop is by audition only (auditions are held at the beginning of each semester). The Jazz Workshop performs music by Thad Jones, Mike Tomaro, Alan Baylock, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Neal Hefti and many others.
CONCERTS – Fall 2017
- Wed. Nov. 15, 8pm: Jazz Workshop (Harris Theatre – Free and open to the public)
Fall 2017 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Audition Piece: Just Friends
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition, there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod or CD player.
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a brief excerpt of a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod or CD player.
- If all audition slots are filled, or you have a legitimate time conflict, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.