The Jazz Workshop big band, directed by Rick Parrell, meets Tues/Thurs from 3:30pm – 4:45pm in the de Laski Performing Arts Building, room 327C. Placement in the Jazz Workshop is by audition only (auditions are held at the beginning of each semester). The Jazz Workshop performs music by Thad Jones, Mike Tomaro, Alan Baylock, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Neal Hefti and many others.
CONCERTS – Spring 2018
- Sunday, April 15, 7pm: Jazz Workshop (Harris Theatre – Free and open to the public)
Spring 2018 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Monday, January 22 (9am – 5pm) and Tuesday, January 23 (9am – 5pm) in PAB 336.
- Instrumental Piece: Four
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition. If audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.