The Jazz Workshop big band, directed by Rick Parrell, meets Tue/Thur from 3 – 4:15pm in the de Laski Performing Arts Building, room 327C. Placement in the Jazz Workshop is by audition only (auditions are held at the beginning of each semester). The Jazz Workshop performs music by Thad Jones, Mike Tomaro, Alan Baylock, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Neal Hefti and many others.
CONCERTS – Fall 2018
- Tuesday, November 13, 8pm: Jazz Workshop (Harris Theatre, Free and open to the public)
Spring 2019 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece: Coming soon
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.