Latin American Ensemble
The Mason Latin American Ensemble, directed by DMA candidate Juan Megna, embraces the rhythmic Latin American traditions married to the harmonies of jazz, through music of the past, present and future. The ensemble explores different eras and their composers, as well as new compositions that continue the tradition of crossing musical borders.
CONCERTS – Fall 2018
- Sunday, August 26, 4pm: Mason Jazz Welcome Back Party (de laski 3001) – Mandatory for Majors (undergraduate and graduate). Strongly encouraged for Jazz minors and those participating in Jazz ensembles. Performance by your Jazz faculty and hang. (Dinner provided)
- Saturday, September 29, 5pm: Arts By George (Latin American Ensemble/Steel Pan Ensemble student showcase) – Purchase Tickets or for more information, contact Susan Graziano, call 703-993-4188, or visit artsbygeorge.gmu.edu
- Wednesday, October 31, 8pm: Jazz Combos (de Laski 3001, Free and open to the public)
- Wednesday, November 14, 8pm: Jazz Combos (de laski 3001, Free and open to the public)
- Wednesday, October 24: Latin American Ensemble/Trad Jazz Ensemble
In Brazil, he played and/or recorded with many prestigious artists such as Vinicius Dorin (Hermeto Pascoal), Jarbas Barbosa (Banda Mantiqueira), Rubinho Antunes, Felipe Silveira (Rosa Passos), Marcos Souza (Johnny Alf), Bruno Mangueira, Rafael dos Santos, Budi Garcia among many others. Considered a versatile musician, he was part of many groups and ensembles, including the Unicamp Symphony Orchestra (Campinas, SP) and the Brazilian percussion Ensemble “Tambaleio” among others.
In Cincinnati, he was an active member of the local music scene. He played with Craig Bailey, Phil deGreg Trio, Kim Pensyl, Rusty Burge, Aaron Jacobs. He also formed, with Thiago Camargo and Kevin Mc Clennan, the Brasa Trio, performing a repertoire of Brazilian Standards and new composers.
In the Fall of 2017, Juan moved to Washington DC area to begin as a candidate of DMA at George Mason University where he is currently directing the Latin American Ensemble in the Jazz Department. For more information about the Latin American Ensemble, e-mail Juan at firstname.lastname@example.org.