Jazz Vocal Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning jazz vocal group of George Mason University. Founded in 2012, this group has performed at Jazz 4 Justice concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, Go Green Gala (for Representative Don Byer), Law Day (for Virginia State Bar president Ed Weiner), George Mason University Men’s basketball games, Kansas City Jazz Summit and the JENerations Jazz Festival/JEN conference. Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have had the privilege of being featured with the American Festival Pops Orchestra, directed by Tony Maiello, the Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, and singing back-up vocals for Indie pop star, Ben Folds with the National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (Myerhoff Center) and Virginia Beach Symphony (Sandler Center).
(Click photo for full video – Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble performs “The Kicker”)
CONCERTS – Fall 2017
- Saturday. September 23, 5-9pm: Arts By George (School of Music Showcases – Mason Jazz Ensemble and Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble perform) Purchase Tickets: artsbygeorge.com
- Friday, November 10, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Hylton Performing Arts Center) Purchase Tickets:
- Saturday, November 11, 4pm: American Festival Pops Orchestra “Salute to Veterans” (Hylton Performing Arts Center – Free and open to the public)
- Saturday, November 11, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets:
- Monday, November 20, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets:
Fall 2017 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble one of two groups awarded “Outstanding Ensemble” at the Kansas City Jazz Summit, April 2016, hosted by John Stafford at KCKCC. “Outstanding Musicianship” awards were also given to Kyra Larson, Sarah Moyers, Huy Ngo and Khanh Ngo.