Jazz Vocal Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning vocal group of George Mason University. Founded in 2014, this group has performed at Jazz 4 Justice concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, Go Green Gala, Law Day, George Mason University Men’s basketball games, Kansas City Jazz Summit, JENerations Jazz Festival and were a featured collegiate group at the 2018 JEN conference in Dallas, TX.
Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have been featured with the American Festival Pops Orchestra, directed by Tony Maiello, the Mason Jazz Ensemble and Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra, directed by Jim Carroll and as back-up vocalists for Indie pop star, Ben Folds with the National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (Myerhoff Center) and Virginia Beach Symphony (Sandler Center). Fall 2018, the MJVE shared the stage with the Manhattan Transfer.
JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS – Spring 2019 (current Mason students)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.
CONCERTS – Spring 2019
- Saturday, MAR 9, all day: Mason Vocal Jazz Festival with Lisanne Lyons and Brad Rees (Harris Theatre, Free and open to the public to observe)
- Friday, APR 11, All Day: Accent Vocal Festival (Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble travels to Tiffin, OH to perform in the Accent Vocal Festival!)
- Monday, APR 29, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Wednesday, MAY 1, 4:30pm: Law Day with the Mason Jazz Ensemble (Weiner, Spivey and Miller Law Offices)
Purchase at store.cdbaby.com/cd/masonjazzvocalensemble or e-mail the School of Music for hard copies.
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble one of two groups awarded “Outstanding Ensemble” at the Kansas City Jazz Summit, April 2016, hosted by John Stafford at KCKCC. “Outstanding Musicianship” awards were also given to Kyra Larson, Sarah Moyers, Huy Ngo and Khanh Ngo.