Jazz Vocal Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning vocal group of George Mason University. Founded in 2014, this group has performed at Jazz 4 Justice concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, Go Green Gala, Law Day, George Mason University Men’s basketball games, Kansas City Jazz Summit, JENerations Jazz Festival and were a featured group at the 2018 JEN conference in Dallas, TX.
Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have been featured with the American Festival Pops Orchestra, directed by Tony Maiello, the Mason Jazz Ensemble and Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra, directed by Jim Carroll and back-up vocalists for Indie pop star, Ben Folds with the National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (Myerhoff Center) and Virginia Beach Symphony (Sandler Center).
JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS – Fall 2018 (current Mason students)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.
CONCERTS – Fall 2018
- Saturday, September 29, 8pm: Manhattan Transfer (Center for the Arts) – Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble to perform with the AFPO and Manhattan Transfer. Purchase Tickets
- Friday, November 16, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Hylton Performing Arts Center) – Purchase Tickets
- Saturday, November 17, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Center for the Arts) – Purchase Tickets
- Wednesday, November 28, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night (Center for the Arts) – Purchase Tickets
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble one of two groups awarded “Outstanding Ensemble” at the Kansas City Jazz Summit, April 2016, hosted by John Stafford at KCKCC. “Outstanding Musicianship” awards were also given to Kyra Larson, Sarah Moyers, Huy Ngo and Khanh Ngo.