Jazz Vocal Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning vocal group of George Mason University. Founded in 2014, this group has performed at Jazz 4 Justice concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, Go Green Gala, Law Day, George Mason University Men’s basketball games, Kansas City Jazz Summit, JENerations Jazz Festival, were a featured collegiate group at the 2018 JEN conference in Dallas, TX and ACCENT Vocal Festival at Tiffin University.
Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have been featured with the American Festival Pops Orchestra, directed by Tony Maiello, the Mason Jazz Ensemble and Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra, directed by Jim Carroll, the Capitol Bones All-Brass Big Band, directed by Matt Niess and as back-up vocalists for Indie pop star, Ben Folds with the National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and Virginia Beach Symphony. The MJVE shared the stage with The New York Voices, The Manhattan Transfer and ACCENT.
CONCERTS – Fall 2019
- Saturday, SEP 28, 5pm: Arts By George (School of Music, De Laski Performing Arts Building) Purchase Tickets
- Friday, NOV 8, 8pm: Jazz 4 Justice (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Monday, NOV 25, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night w/ special guests Forest Park High School, Platinum Vocal Jazz (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
- Friday, DEC 13, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble with the American Festival Pops Orchestra (Hylton PAC) Purchase Tickets
- Saturday, DEC 13, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble with the American Festival Pops Orchestra (Center for the Arts) Purchase Tickets
JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS – Fall 2019 (current Mason students)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.