Jazz Vocal Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Dr. Darden Purcell, is the award-winning jazz vocal group of George Mason University. Founded in 2012, this group has performed at Jazz 4 Justice concerts, Mason Jazz Vocal Nights, Go Green Gala (for Representative Don Byer), Law Day (for Virginia State Bar president Ed Weiner), George Mason University Men’s basketball games, Kansas City Jazz Summit and the JENerations Jazz Festival/JEN conference. Members of the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble have had the privilege of being featured with the American Festival Pops Orchestra, directed by Tony Maiello, the Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, and singing back-up vocals for Indie pop star, Ben Folds with the National Symphony Orchestra (Wolf Trap), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (Myerhoff Center) and Virginia Beach Symphony (Sandler Center).
CONCERTS – Spring 2017
- Wed. January 4th – Sat. Jan 7th: Jazz Education Network (JEN) Conference (MJE and MJVE – JENerations Jazz Festival Performances, New Orleans, LA)
- Sun. February 12th, 3pm: American Festival Pops Orchestra (Hylton Performing Arts Center. Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble perform with Tony Maiello and the AFPO. Purchase Tickets: http://hyltoncenter.org/calendar/805/)
- Sat. March 4th: Mason Jazz Night at Epicure Cafe (Mason Jazz groups perform at the Epicure Cafe in Fairfax, VA. http://www.epicurecafe.org)
- Sat. March 11th: Mason Vocal Jazz Festival (Vocal Jazz Festival with featured artists, the New York Voices. Registration: https://music.gmu.edu/mason-vocal-jazz-festival/)
- Sat. March 11th, 8pm: Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra featuring the New York Voices (Center for the Arts – Tickets: http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/2295/)
- Fri. April 21st, 6:30pm: Jazz, Brews and BBQ (Fairfax Country Club – Tickets: 703-993-8641 or http://alumni.gmu.edu/jazzbrewsandbbq)
- Mon. May 1st, 4:30pm: Law Day (Weiner, Spivey and Miller Law offices – Details TBD)
- Tues. May 2nd, 8pm: Mason Jazz Vocal Night (Center for the Arts. Tickets: http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/2451/)
- Fall 2017 Audition Information – TBD
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a brief excerpt of a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod or CD player.If all audition slots are filled, or you have a legitimate time conflict, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.
- Visit the Seating Placement Auditions page to sign up for an audition.
(Click photo for full video – Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble performs “Loves Me Like a Rock”)
The Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble one of two groups awarded “Outstanding Ensemble” at the Kansas City Jazz Summit, April 2016, hosted by John Stafford at KCKCC. “Outstanding Musicianship” awards were also given to Kyra Larson, Sarah Moyers, Huy Ngo and Khanh Ngo.