The Mason Jazz Combos are a vital part of the Jazz Studies curriculum. Directed by jazz pianist, Wade Beach, the combos provide students opportunities in improvisation, composition and arranging as well as small group performing experience. The Mason Jazz Combos perform several times a semester and are open to instrumentalists and vocalists of all musical abilities.
CONCERTS – Spring 2017
- Sat. March 4th: Mason Jazz Night at Epicure Cafe – Mason Jazz groups perform at the Epicure Cafe in Fairfax, VA. Stay tuned for line-up and details!
- Wed. March 29th, 8pm: Jazz Combos (de Laski 3001 – Free and Open to the public)
- Wed. April 19th, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Traditional Jazz Ensemble (de Laski 3001 – Free and open to the public)
DEPARTMENTALS – Spring 2017
- Wed. March 8th: Jazz Combos (12:30pm – 1:20pm – Harris Theatre – free and open to the public. MUSI 300 credit)
- Wed. April 12th: Jazz Combos (12:30pm – 1:20pm – Harris Theatre – free and open to the public. MUSI 300 credit)
We are thrilled to announce the release of our CD, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Swing! This CD features fourteen (14) tracks and six (6) performing ensembles including the Mason Jazz Ensemble (Jim Carroll), Mason Jazz Combo I (Wade Beach), Afro-Cuban Ensemble (Joe McCarthy), Traditional Jazz Ensemble (Dave Robinson), Steel Pan Ensemble (Victor Provost) and the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble (Darden Purcell). Recorded by CFA Audio Engineer, Billy Kessinger, eighty-six (86) students participated in this project!
Purchase CD at www.cdbaby.com/cd/masonjazz, iTunes or Amazon. For hard copies and bulk ordering, e-mail: email@example.com. Proceeds from CD sales benefit the GMU Jazz Foundation for scholarships, internships, trips and future recordings. Thank you for your support!