The Mason Jazz Combos are a vital part of the Jazz Studies curriculum. Directed by jazz pianist, Wade Beach, the combos provide students opportunities in improvisation, composition and arranging as well as small group performing experience. The Mason Jazz Combos perform several times a semester and are open to instrumentalists and vocalists of all musical abilities.
Fall 2017 Jazz Ensemble Auditions (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Audition Piece: Just Friends
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition, there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod or CD player.
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a brief excerpt of a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod or CD player.
- If all audition slots are filled, or you have a legitimate time conflict, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.
CONCERTS – Fall 2017
- Saturday. October 21, 7-11pm: Mason Jazz Night at Epicure Cafe (Mason Jazz groups perform at the Epicure Cafe in Fairfax, VA) Information: http://www.epicurecafe.org)
- Wednesday. October 25, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Steel Pan Ensemble (de Laski 3001 – Free and open to the public)
- Wednesday, November 29, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Latin American Ensemble (de Laski 3001 – Free and open to the public)
DEPARTMENTALS (12:30 – 1:20pm, Harris Theatre, MUSI 300 credit)
- Wednesday, October 4: Jazz Combos
- Wednesday, November 15: Jazz Combos
- Sunday, August 27, 4-6pm: Mason Jazz “Welcome Back” Party – Dinner and performance by your Mason Jazz faculty. (de Laski 3001) Mandatory for all Jazz majors. Strongly suggested for Jazz minors and those participating in jazz ensembles.
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Swing features the Mason Jazz Ensemble, Mason Jazz Combo I, Afro-Cuban Ensemble, Traditional Jazz Ensemble, Steel Pan Ensemble and Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble. Recorded by CFA Audio Engineer, Billy Kessinger, eighty-six (86) students participated in this project. Purchase at www.cdbaby.com/cd/masonjazz, iTunes, Amazon or e-mail: email@example.com. Proceeds benefit the GMU Jazz Foundation for scholarships, internships, trips and future recordings.