The Mason Jazz Combos are a vital part of the Jazz Studies curriculum. Directed by jazz pianist, Wade Beach, these groups (MW 1:30pm – 2:45pm) provide students opportunities in improvisation, composition and arranging as well as small group performing experience. The Mason Jazz Combos perform several times a semester and are open to instrumentalists and vocalists of all musical abilities.
CONCERTS – Spring 2019
- Wednesday, MAR 27, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Latin American Ensemble (de Laski 3001, Free and open to the public)
- Wednesday, APR 10, 8pm: Jazz Combos/Steel Pan Ensemble (de Laski 3001, Free and open to the public)
DEPARTMENTALS (12:30 – 1:20pm, Harris Theatre, MUSI 300 credit, Free and open to the public)
- Wednesday, MAR 6: Jazz Combos
- Wednesday, APR 3: Jazz Combos
JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS – Spring 2019 (current Mason students)
- Instrumental Piece: Recorda Me
- Instrumentalists: Play the melody for one chorus and improvise for two choruses. In addition there will be sight-reading on the audition. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for iPod, Phone or CD player. (Bring adapter if your phone does not have a headphone jack)
- Vocalists: Sing one song of your choice (jazz preferred), sight-read a solo musical line and sing a brief tonal melody test. Please bring your own musical accompaniment/backing track for either iPod, Phone or CD player.
- Visit the SEATING PLACEMENT AUDITIONS page to sign up for an audition.
- If all audition slots are filled, please e-mail Dr. Darden Purcell.