Director of Music Needed – The Leesburg Presbyterian Church
Location: Leesburg Presbyterian Church, 207 W. Market St., Leesburg, VA 20176
Description: The Director of Music is accountable to the Pastor as Head of Staff, and will interact as needed with the Personnel Committee of the Session.
Please contact the Leesburg Presbyterian Church Personnel Committee at email@example.com to submit a resume and arrange for an interview.
The historic Leesburg Presbyterian Church in Leesburg, VA, is seeking a new Director of Music, who will direct the entire music program of the church and serve as accompanist and organist. The Director of Music will work with the Pastor, Session, and Worship Committee, to coordinate selection and programming of music for all church services and related activities.
In the near future, LPC plans to begin in-person worship with appropriate safety protocols. Until then our Sunday worship service will continue to be a taped service posted on the platforms of YouTube, Facebook, and church web-site. We are currently using a mixture of paid and volunteer guest musicians to provide organ, piano, other instrumental, and vocal (solo) music for our online services. There is no choir music at this time, but we hope to reconstitute our choir as soon as pandemic-related restrictions allow.
We are seeking a new part-time Director of Music with at least the following capabilities and capacity:
● Proficiency in organ and/or piano. Strong preference for someone who will be able to play LPC’s tracker pipe organ for in house recording.
● Ability and high degree of comfort coordinating with other musicians, including identifying and securing outside musicians to pull together varied musical options for inclusion in Sunday worship services. Music themes and selections will be coordinated with the pastor. Video recording sessions at the church are currently scheduled on Friday’s after 4pm for the coming Sunday worship service. Some musical offerings have been recorded remotely by musicians.
● Knowledge of and comfort with multiple styles/genres of church music, including but not limited to classical and contemporary. LPC uses the current Presbyterian Hymnal, Glory to God.
● Adaptability to work through the current uncharted waters of worship during the pandemic, and ability/willingness to adapt and participate in the path forward as we gradually resume in-person worship.
● When pandemic-related circumstances allow, manage the reconstitutions of our choir and direct the choir with an expectation of having choir participation in the worship service in average of three weeks of every month. On the weeks when the choir is not participating in worship leadership, alternative music will be provided i.e., soloists, duets etc.
A degree in music and previous religious music experience preferable. A candidate with a music degree in vocal arts and/or church music along with previous experience in a similar position is preferred. Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Pastor with regular interaction with the Personnel Committee Chair as well. This position will be considered a self-employed contractor. Salary range 25-29K.