Vocal Studies & Opera
Spring 2018 Master Classes
The George Mason University Opera Theater & Workshop provides serious vocal performance students with in-depth study and performance of operas from Baroque to modern, with opera scenes and productions each semester. The Opera Theater presents two to three productions annually.
Past productions have included Mozart’s Magic Flute, Monteverdi’s Coronation of Poppea, Purcell’s Dido & Aeneus, Puccini’s La Bohème and Gianni Schicchi, Mozart’s Cosi Fan Tutte and one-act operas including Barber’s A Hand of Bridge and Menotti’s Old Maid and the Thief.
Mason’s vocal performance graduates are currently singing with the Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Kansas City, Colorado (Rocky Mountain), Alaska, Bay Shore, and New England Conservatory Opera Companies.
- Prof. Patricia Miller – Director of Vocal Studies & Opera Director
- Dr. Kathryn Hearden – Associate Director, Vocal Studies
- Prof. John Aler – Opera Artistic Director
- Prof. Lisa Berger – Soprano
- Joe Walsh – Vocal Coach, Opera Conductor
- Prof. Seong Wong Nam – Tenor
- Prof. Debby Wenner – Mezzo-Soprano
- Dr. Mira Yang – Soprano