To be accepted to the Dewberry School of Music, one must complete an application for admission to George Mason University, as well as completing the requirements for admission to the Dewberry School of Music (pre-screening, audition, portfolio, etc.). In order to apply to the School of Music, submit pre-screening materials, and register for an audition, applicants must first complete a University application. Upon completion, applicants will be given a link to SlideRoom to submit their School of Music materials and register for an audition date.
2021-2022 Audition Days
- Saturday, October 30, 2021
- Saturday, January 22, 2022
- Friday, January 28, 2022
- Saturday, February 5, 2022
If you are unable to make any of the audition dates, please contact the School of Music at email@example.com to discuss other options.
Please compile the following materials to be submitted on the University application and SlideRoom.
- Pre-screening materials. Current pre-screening requirements can be found here.
- One to two page Goals Statement
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (unofficial copies can be uploaded to the online application and considered for admissions purposes).
- Repertoire list (Performance and Pedagogy only)
- Philosophy of Music Education Statement (Music Education only)
- TOEFL test scores for international applicants whose native language is not English. Students who were educated outside of the US can find detailed information about Transcripts, Evaluations, and English Language Proficiency Requirements at this link.
For questions or issues regarding the graduate application process, please contact CVPA Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall Admission Standard Deadline: January 15
- Spring Admission Deadline: October 1
To pursue a Graduate Certificate in music at George Mason University, refer to the following:
- Instrumental Performance
- Piano Performance
- Vocal Performance
- Music Education Licensure
- Music and Well-Being Graduate Certificate
For general information about admission to our programs: Dawn Kelley at email@example.com or 703-993-5576
Master of Music Pre-Screen Requirements
- JAZZ STUDIES:
- MUSIC EDUCATION:
- COLLABORATIVE PIANO:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to take the GRE? The GRE is not required for application to the MM degree program.
What graduate scholarships are available, and how do I apply for one?Graduate scholarships provide for partial to full instructional fees. They are awarded for the academic year on the basis of scholarly achievement and performing ability. In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicants must be admitted unconditionally in degree status (minimum 3.0 GPA) and receive a recommendation from the faculty in the major area of study.All scholarships are awarded by the Dewberry School of Music Scholarship Committee
May I apply to enroll in the winter or spring quarter?Yes, if you are applying for the MM. The application deadline for the fall semester is March 1st. The application deadline for the spring semester is November 1st.
Can I defer my term of enrollment once I have been accepted?Yes. Complete the Request to Defer an Admission Application form and return to the Office of Admissions. Incomplete applications will not be processed. CVPA Deferral Request FormFAX: 703-993-4622 ADDRESS: 4400 University Dr, 3A4, Fairfax, VA 22030
What TOEFL or ILETS score do I need to be accepted?To be considered for admission, applicants must score at least 230 on the computer-based TOEFL, 88 on the Internet based TOEFL, (with a minimum score of 20 in each section), or 575 on the paper based TOEFL, and 4.5 on the TOEFL essay. A TOEFL score of at least 250 (computer-based) or 600 (paper based) is required to qualify for Teaching Assistantships. If you chose to take the ILETS examination you must score 6.5 or higher.
How do I get the I-20?I-20 information can be found here.