Graduate Auditions

To be accepted to the School of Music, one must complete an application for admission to George Mason University, as well as completing the requirements for admission to the School of Music (audition, portfolio, etc.). To apply for an audition, the School of Music requires a completed application to the University Admissions department. Applications to the University and School of Music may be submitted simultaneously, but are not required to be.

Audition Days

Saturday, November 3, 2018
Saturday, January 26, 2019
Friday, February 1, 2019
Saturday, February 9, 2019
Saturday, April 27, 2019 – University admitted or transfer students only

If you are unable to make any of the audition dates, please contact Sean Brazel ( to discuss other options.

Masters Admission Requirements

An applicant for the Master of Music degree is expected to have earned a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent. The following documents should be submitted online through SlideRoom.

Deadline for Spring Admission

  • MM Application Materials:  October 1

Deadline for Fall Admission

  • Doctoral Application Materials: January 15
  • MM Application Materials: February 1

To pursue a Graduate Certificate in music at George Mason University, refer to the following:

CVPA Graduate Admissions is a self-managed system that is administered by the University’s Graduate Admissions Office. We encourage interested applicants to open their applications online, provide correct and current information, and check the status of the application on a continual basis.  Applicants are assigned a “G#” once an application is opened; this is a Mason identification number that will be key to all University communications.

Address to send application materials, including transcripts:

For general information about admission to our programs: Stevie Otto at or 703-993-5576

Master of Music Concentration Requirements



Frequently Asked Questions 

  • Do I need to take the GRE? The GRE is not required for application to the MM degree program.
  • What graduate scholarships are available, and how do I apply for one?
    Graduate scholarships provide for partial to full instructional fees. They are awarded for the academic year on the basis of scholarly achievement and performing ability. In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicants must be admitted unconditionally in degree status (minimum 3.0 GPA) and receive a recommendation from the faculty in the major area of study.All scholarships are awarded by the School of Music Scholarship Committee
  • May I apply to enroll in the winter or spring quarter?
    Yes, if you are applying for the MM. The application deadline for the fall semester is March 1st.  The application deadline for the spring semester is November 1st.
  • Can I defer my term of enrollment once I have been accepted?
    Yes.  Complete the Request to Defer an Admission Application form and return to the Office of Admissions. Incomplete applications will not be processed. CVPA Deferral Request Form
    FAX: 703-993-4622 ADDRESS: 4400 University Dr, 3A4, Fairfax, VA 22030
  • What TOEFL or ILETS score do I need to be accepted?
    To be considered for admission, applicants must score at least 230 on the computer-based TOEFL, 88 on the Internet based TOEFL, (with a minimum score of 20 in each section), or 575 on the paper based TOEFL, and 4.5 on the TOEFL essay.  A TOEFL score of at least 250 (computer-based) or 600 (paper based) is required to qualify for Teaching Assistantships. If you chose to take the ILETS examination you must score 6.5 or higher.
  • How do I get the I-20?
    Please visit the Office of Admissions website.