To download the doctoral Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) application, click HERE.
Entrance Requirements For All Programs:
1. ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
2. Master’s degree in music from accredited college or university with overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.50 or above in the area of specialization (music education, performance, conducting, or composition).
3. Satisfactory scores on GRE General Test.
4. Appropriate international paperwork (if necessary).
5. A sample of academic writing about music, such as a graduate-level paper from a musicology, music theory, or music education course taken during master’s-level studies.
6. Three (3) letters of recommendation from faculty members or those who can evaluate the applicant’s academic, professional, and artistic potential.
7. Resume of academic, artistic, and professional accomplishments and positions. DMA applicants should include a repertoire list of publicly performed works.
*There is no “provisional” admission. Students must meet appropriate standards prior to commencing doctoral studies.
PhD in Music Education: Interview
8. Interview with Music Faculty (scheduled after receipt and initial processing of other application material).
8a. Pre-Screening Audition — this is an audio recording of recent performances presenting appropriate musical literature. The Screening Audition can be an audio CD or a MP3 file or it can be a web-based file. Video is optional. It should include at least 60 minutes of music performed within the last two or three years.
8b. A live audition at Mason (approximately 45 minutes of musical material) will be scheduled after a successful initial evaluation of the pre-screening material discussed above. For specific audition requirements for your instrument/voice, please click here.
8a. Pre-Screening Audition — Please submit an audio and visual recording of recent performances presenting appropriate musical literature. The Pre-Screening Audition can be a DVD or it can be web-based file. Video is not optional, though some of the selections may be audio only. It should include at least 45 minutes of music performed within the last two or three years.
8b. A live audition at Mason (approximately 15 to 20 minutes of musical material) will be scheduled after a successful initial evaluation of the pre-screening material. This audition may include an assessment of other skills critical to the artistic success of conductors such as sight-reading, sight-singing, ear-training, and error detection.
DMA—Composition: Portfolio and Interview
8a. Pre-Screening Materials - Portfolio (scores) of recent compositions, preferably for varying ensembles, and recordings of these compositions (from within the last two to three years). These can be in an audio CD, MP3, or web-based format.
8b. Interview with Music Faculty (scheduled after receipt and initial processing of other application material).