Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up for Applied Music Instruction?
Visit Melinda Wildman in the music office, room 417-A to receive your Applied Music syllabus with the registration information needed to register for Applied Music via Patriotweb. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are registered for all classes, including Applied Music.
Do I have to perform in a School of Music Departmental Recital?

All Undergraduate performance majors studying at the 3-credit Applied Music level are required to perform in a School of Music Departmental Recital each semester. Non-performance music majors and music minors may perform in a School of Music Departmental Recital at the recommendation of their Applied Music Instructor. Sign-ups for Departmental Recitals are assigned by the music office. Please see Melinda Wildman with questions or to schedule a departmental performance.
When are juries?

Juries typically occur at the end of the semester during any designated Final Exam Days. Jury Sign-up sheets will be available online and are awarded on a “first come, first served” basis, so plan on signing up early. Notification will be sent via email when these sign-ups are available.
What is MUSI 300: Recital Attendance?

MUSI 300: Recital Attendance is a non-credit bearing course for which students receive either a “satisfactory” or “no credit” grade. All music majors are required to pass five semesters of MUSI 300 in order to graduate. Music minors must pass two semesters of MUSI 300.  Transfer students will not be required to fulfill the MUSI 300 requirement for more than the number of semesters that they are actually enrolled at GMU for six or more credits per semester (excluding the Student Teaching semester of Music Education students).
How do I sign up for MUSI 300?

Students register for MUSI 300 in the same manner as they register for any other class. A registration call number appears in the paper and online versions of the Schedule of Classes that may be used to register via Patriotweb.
Who do I talk to about advising?

The School of Music provides its students with two advisors: Stevie Garza-Otto and Melinda Wildman. Please direct all matters involving Undergraduate issues such as auditions and recitals to Stevie Garza-Otto at 703-993-1390. Please direct all other Graduate and Undergraduate issues such as Applied Music Instruction. Degree Audits, registration, and scheduling to Melinda Wildman at 703-993-1392.
How do I make sure that I’m on track for graduation?

Set up an appointment with Melinda Wildman by phone at 703-993-1392.
How do I get an instrumental locker?

See Lindsey Nikithser at the beginning of the semester. Lockers are given out on a “first come, first served” basis.
How do I sign up for a recital?

Sign-ups occur the semester prior to when you will perform a recital. Dates for recital scheduling week will be announced through the student listserve. Students may only schedule their recital during that week. Junior, Senior, Education and Graduate students planning to perform a recital should visit Stevie Garza-Otto in the music office, room 417-C.

Students may elect to perform their degree recitals off-campus, but are responsible for all communication with that venue. The School of Music can not coordinate off-campus recitals. Please inform Stevie Garza if you plan to do this so your recital will still be counted as a degree recital.
Non-degree recitals cannot be scheduled on campus.
When are placement tests?

Placement tests for Music Theory, Aural Skills, and Keyboard Skills typically occur the week before classes start. Please call the Music Office at 703-993-1380 for more information.