Founded in 1924, the National Associations of Schools of Music (NASM) is an organization of schools, conservatories, colleges and universities with approximately 651 accredited institutional members. It establishes national standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees and other credentials. Institutional Membership is gained only through the peer review process of accreditation. George Mason University first gained NASM accreditation in November 1993 and has continued to be a member in good standing in subsequent years.
George Mason University’s School of Music completed an extensive 10-year NASM review in 2013-2014. We are proud to report that Mason’s School of Music received a commendation for its thorough and comprehensive Self-Study document. The NASM accreditation team, comprised of experienced academic music unit evaluators, affirmed that Mason’s School of Music Self-Study document was considered “to be among the finest self-studies they had reviewed. The Managing Director is commended for successfully engaging various faculty members in the development of this well organized and clearly presented document.”
The overview and summary assessment provided by the NASM accreditation team (based on a three-day site visit March 30-April 2, 2014) listed the following strengths for Mason’s School of Music:
- A vibrant, energized student population wholly dedicated to their studies and faculty mentors.
- Dedicated and student-centered faculty members committed to a work ethic that clearly exceeds the core requirements of their positions.
- Examples of truly exceptional teaching.
- Collegial interactions among members of the faculty and between faculty members and the administrative staff.
- An effective leadership team for the School including a Managing Director with boundless energy, exemplary relationships with faculty, and a singular dedication to the welfare of the students and the advancement of the program, and a Director with a record of musical accomplishment that raises the level of professionalism in the music unit.
- A recently expanded and impressive physical plant.
The NASM accreditation team appreciates the institution’s extraordinary efforts clearly evident in the Self-Study document and the thorough preparation for the three-day site visit.