Mason Jazz Ensemble
The Mason Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jim Carroll, offers opportunities for improvisation, performance, recording, writing, leadership and service. This ensemble performs at venues including the Shanghai Concert Hall (Beijing, China), Center for the Arts, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Blues Alley, Law Day and the Jazz Education Network/JENerations Jazz Festival (New Orleans, LA).
A highpoint of students’ time in the Mason Jazz Ensemble is Jazz 4 Justice, an annual concert that combines the Mason Jazz department with local law communities to raise money for the jazz program and public access to justice.
CONCERTS – Spring 2017
- Wed. January 4th – Sat. Jan 7th: Jazz Education Network (JEN) Conference(MJE and MJVE – JENerations Jazz Festival Performances, New Orleans, LA)
- Sat. March 4th: Mason Jazz Night at Epicure Cafe (Mason Jazz groups perform at the Epicure Cafe in Fairfax, VA. Stay tuned for line-up and details! http://www.epicurecafe.org)
- Sat. March 11th, 8pm: Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra featuring the New York Voices(Center for the Arts – Purchase Tickets: http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/2295/)
- Mon. April 3rd, 8pm: Big Band Showdown(Center for the Arts. Purchase Tickets: http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/2434/)
- Sun. April 30th, 2pm: International Jazz Day with the Mason Jazz Ensemble(Center for the Arts. Purchase Tickets: http://cfa.gmu.edu/calendar/2449/)
- Mon. May 1st, 4pm: Law Day(The Mason Jazz Ensemble performs at the Weiner, Spivey and Miller Law Day. Details TBD)
We are thrilled to announce the release of our CD, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Swing. This CD features fourteen tracks and six performing ensembles including the Mason Jazz Ensemble (Jim Carroll), Mason Jazz Combo I (Wade Beach), Afro-Cuban Ensemble (Joe McCarthy), Traditional Jazz Ensemble (Dave Robinson), Steel Pan Ensemble (Victor Provost) and the Mason Jazz Vocal Ensemble (Darden Purcell). Recorded by CFA Audio Engineer, Billy Kessinger, eighty-six students participated in this project!
Purchase CD at www.cdbaby.com/cd/masonjazz, iTunes or Amazon. For hard copies and bulk ordering, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds from CD sales benefit the GMU Jazz Foundation for scholarships, internships, trips and future recordings. Thank you for your support!